Web hosting accounts give a business a web presence under its own domain name, such as www.peanuts4sale.com. In addition, web hosting accounts optionally can be used for e-commerce or as anonymous FTP servers.
Other features include email, Domain Name Service, additional disk space, and data transfer capabilities. See examples of commercial web sites and setting up a commercial web site for more information.
Authoritative domain name hosting is available. You can offer multiple domain names that point to the same web hosting site, dedicated connection, or internal email system.
All commercial web hosting accounts (with the exception of DNS only) include the following features:
- Domain name registration (or transfer)
- Unique web address, such as www.MyCompany.com
- FTP access for updates and modifications
- A mailbox where all email sent to the domain can be routed
- Ability to add mail forms
- Advanced web development, such as a CGI environment for Perl scripting and Microsoft FrontPage server extensions, which allow you to develop forms such as guest books, web counters, and web site searches
- Access to CGI library of configurable scripts (support not included)
- Web statistics
- FrontPage extensions (upon request)