Follow this method if you would like to share a printer that is directly connected to your computer with other computers on your home or small office network that are not directly connected to the printer.
- Open the Windows Vista Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button.
- Then click Control Panel and then click on the Network and Sharing Center
- Click the arrow button next to Printer sharing to expand the section and then click Turn on printer sharing.
- Click Apply. Your printer is now shared on the network. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
If your computer is connected to a workgroup, you will need to perform these additional steps:
- Click the arrow button next for Password Protected Sharing to expand this section.
- In this menu, check to see if password-protected sharing is turn on or off. If it is turned on, only people with a user account and password for this computer will be able to access the shared printer. Turn this option off if you want anyone on the network to be able to access the printer you are sharing. To change this setting, select the option you want and click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.