These instructions should be followed when you wish to install a printer that will be connected directly to the network, rather than connected to a single computer. Before you start the installation, be certain that you know the name of the printer that you want to install and share with other computers on your network. To find the printer name, look to see if the name is posted on the printer itself, contact the printer owner or contact your network administrator.
Once you have the name of the printer, follow these steps:
- Click Start.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click Printers and Faxes.
- Click Add a Printer in the left column. An Add Printer Wizard box will appear.
- Start the Add Printer wizard by clicking Next.
- On the first screen, click the “network printer or printer attached to another computer” selection box.
- Click Next.
- If you know the exact name of the printer you wish to install, enter it in the Name field. If you do not know the name of the printer, select it from the list in the Browse field.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation of the network printer. You may need administrative privileges to access additional printers in your network.
- Click Finish.