To connect a printer directly to your Windows XP computer, follow the instructions below. This method should not be used to install a network printer that will be accessed by other computers.
- Following the manufacturer’s directions, connect the appropriate printer cable(s) to your printer and your computer.
- Power both devices on and Windows will automatically install the printer.
If Windows can’t install the printer, or if you removed the printer and need to install it again, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the printer is powered on and is connected to your computer, per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Click Start.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click Printers and Faxes.
- Click Add a Printer in the left column. An Add Printer Wizard box will appear.
- Start the Add Printer wizard by clicking Next.
- In the options screen, select “local printer attached to this computer.”
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation of your printer.
- Click Finish.