Microsoft’s latest operating system, Windows 8, brings a newly, redesigned interface and may have taken a trial or two to get completely used to. AND, there’s no start button! Get started with learning about useful features from the operating system and even growing to love the Start screen.
- System Requirements
If you plan on upgrading to Windows 8, you can start with Microsoft’s Download Assistant to determine if your computer meets the requirements to upgrade to Windows 8. It is likely that your computer will be good to go if you are already running Windows 7.
You can also check your system with the below requirements for Windows 8 to see how it measures up:
- Processor: 1 GHz processor or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2
- RAM: 2 GB RAM
- Hard Disk Space: 20 GB available hard disk space
- Resolution: 1366 × 768 screen resolution (for use w/ snap apps)
- Graphics Card: DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM driver
- To use touch, you need a PC that supports multitouch
- User Accounts and Security
Windows 8 includes various components that allow for a more secure experience. Following are tips on
- How do I manage User Accounts?
- How do I manage my Windows Firewall?
- What is Windows SmartScreen and how does it help to secure my PC?
- How to I enable Family Safety on a child’s account?
- Navigating Windows 8
- What are some features and capabilities of Windows 8?
- How do I use the Charms in Windows 8?
- There’s no start button. How do I use the Start Screen?
- How can I get back to my desktop?
- How do I access the Control Panel in Windows 8?
- How do I search for files in Windows 8?
- How can I access Help and Support in Windows 8?
- How do I shut down my Windows 8 computer?
- Network and Wireless Connections
- How do I connect to a wireless network in Windows 8?
- I’m having wireless connection problems. Where can I get general help?
- How do I verify that a wireless device has been added to my network?
- Installing and Using Apps
- How can I view all of my apps in Windows 8?
- How can I install apps on Windows 8?
- How can I make changes to my apps in Windows 8?
- How can I close an app in Windows 8?
- Connecting Devices
How do I install a printer?